Friday, May 9, 2008

Imagining the unseen

2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

These are mystical words.

How, exactly do we fix our eyes on what we cannot see? Which eyes are these we are to use? The one's in the back of my mother's head? (When I was young, my mother was constantly seeing those things which I totally believed were unseen - usually me getting into trouble).

I'm pondering this verse right now. On many levels. And, like most times, I need to take a running start at understanding what the Bible means when it says things like this. I need to start from where I am, where my feet are at the moment.

Right now I'm writing a proposal for a fiction book that doesn't exist yet. It is as unseen as anything I've never seen before. I'm groping the sides of the walls, looking for the switch that will turn on the lights and show me the picture I'm longing to see.

I'm fully aware that this is not the sort of unseen things that Paul is talking about in this passage. He's talking about spiritual things, the deep things of God, the unwavering presence of the Holy Spirit, about love.

But, even as I ponder these deeper truths, these deeper treasures, I'm peering into the darkness looking for a story I haven't created yet. And I'm thinking that what I want to do more than anything is to include the unseen things that Paul is talking about into the unseen book that I will be writing.

Sequels are tricky things.

Peace.

No comments: