Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Tenacity Interviews - DiAnn Mills

DiAnn Mills believes her readers should “Expect an Adventure.” She is a fiction writer who combines an adventuresome spirit with unforgettable characters to create action-packed novels. Currently she has over forty books in print and has sold over a million.

Five of her books have won placements through American Christian Fiction Writer’s Book of the Year Awards 2003 – 2008, and she is the recipient of the Inspirational Reader’s Choice award for 2005 and 2007. She was a Christy Awards finalist in 2008.

DiAnn is a founding board member for American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Inspirational Writers Alive, Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, and a mentor for the Christian Writer’s Guild. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops.

DiAnn and her husband live in Houston, Texas.

I hope you get your shot of inspiration and hope today from this great interview with DiAnn!

1) When did you know for certain being a writer was a goal you weren’t going to give up on?
In 1996, when my husband challenged me to quit my job to see if I could get anything published. This was a dream and grabbed it!

2) When did you have to push hardest for your dream? How did you reach for the stars?
I think everyday is a push. Each book has to be written better than the previous one. There is the search for the right word, the right motive, the deepening of character. I reached for the stars by submitting my “baby” to a publisher’s critical eye.

3) Who believed in you the most? What role did they play in your ability to keep going?
My husband believed in me more than I believed in myself. He has always been my best cheerleader and my worst critic.

4) Is tenacity something you learned along the way? Or does it come naturally to you?
I’ve always been driven and very goal oriented – almost to a fault. Writing and being published is not only a ministry for me but is also a God given purpose. How can I not serve Him to the best of my ability?

5) What has being tenacious taught you about yourself?
My relationship with God has to come first, so I need to be tenacious about that aspect of my life. I can achieve my goals, but the work is hard.

6) Where will your tenacity take you next?
That’s a good question. I’m writing contemporary suspense and historical romance. Very different. Challenging, and yet I love both genres. My brand is “Expect an Adventure.” Whatever I write must fulfill those three words.

7) What encouragement do you have for a writer trying to get noticed the right way?
Write everyday. Carve out the time. Make sacrifices and do it.
Read in the genre in which you want to write. Analyze the writing. Highlight what you like and don’t like
Study the books about the craft of writing.
Attend conferences and network with other writers.
Join a writer’s group like ACFW.
Above all pray for God’s guidance and wisdom.

My web site is www.diannmills.com I invite you to subscribe to my monthly newsletter, which is a combination of writer and reader information.
*******
DiAnn was kind enough to send me an ARC of Breach of Trust - I enjoyed it very much, and I'm sure you will to! Thanks DiAnn for dropping in!

I bid you all, good writing.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. What a great story.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Great advice. Very true your comment about each book having to be better than the previous one. Some of my favourite writers just keep getting better the more books they write. It keeps me reading their books! :)

Cathy Bryant said...

I read the ARC of "Breach of Trust" as well, and loved it. I was so happy to get to meet DiAnn face to face yesterday at the Christian Book Expo.

I'm giving Fiction Matters a blog award today at WordVessel (http://wordvessel.blogspot.com).

Blessings!
Cathy