Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Tenacity Interviews - Margaret Daley


Margaret Daley is an award winning, multi-published author in the romance genre. One of her romantic suspense books, Hearts on the Line, won the American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest. This year she placed second in the Short Contemporary category for the Book of the Year Contest for Heart of the Family. She wrote for various secular publishers before the Lord led her to the Christian romance market. She currently writes inspirational romance and romantic suspense books for the Steeple Hill Love Inspired lines. She has sold sixty books to date.
1) How long have you been writing? By this, I mean seriously writing with intention for publication – include the years of struggle before publication.
I started writing seriously in 1978 and sold my first book in 1980, which came out in 1981. I wrote 19 books (1980-1987) but from 1987-1996 I didn’t sell a single book. I tried but couldn’t seem to find a fit for my books anymore. The last publisher I worked for discontinued publishing Dell’s Ecstasy lines so suddenly in 1987 I was out of work. Thankfully in 1996 I sold to Kensington’s Precious Gem line and have been successfully selling since then. I have sold now 60 books but there was a time I didn’t think I would ever sell another book.

2) How many rejections did you receive before the “yes” came? Do you still receive rejections sometimes?
I received tons of rejections before I sold and I still receive rejections.

3) What were the top three obstacles you encountered on the road to being published?
Finding the right fit with a publisher/editor.
Not getting discouraged while writing.
Lines closing—I’ve had that happen three times to me.

4) What helped you to stay tenacious even when faced with rejection?
I have to write. It is apart of who I am. I am very determined and persistent or I would never have sold after 1987.

5) What has being tenacious taught you about yourself?
Not to give up in the face of overwhelming odds, to keep fighting and believe in yourself.

6) What have you learned since being published?
The market is always changing and nothing is a sure bet.

7) What advice do you have for a writer who is facing “no” right now?
Keep writing and keep submitting. Network as much as you can. That has helped me sell several times.
*******
This short interview is packed with nuggets of wisdom for all writers - worth a second read!
I bid you good writing!

No comments: